2 Children ill after having Ice cream in Siliguri mall

Protesters at the ice-cream parlour in Siliguri
Siliguri: At least two children fell ill after having a product with liquid nitrogen from an ice cream parlour in a Siliguri mall on Sunday evening.
The incident led to protests by the Trinamul-backed teachers' organisation, which demanded that the outlet should immediately stop selling the item.
Avik Chakrobarty, a civil engineer and a resident of Collegepara in Siliguri, had been to the mall with his family.
"We went to the ice cream parlour and ordered an item known as the 'Dragon Breath.' While my elder son was having it, he suddenly started feeling dizzy and soon vomited. Since then, he is ill and has been complaining of nausea, pain in abdomen and a burning sensation in his throat and abdomen," said Avik.

"None from the counter had alerted me that it is liquid nitrogen," he said.
"Dragon Breath" is known to be attractive item in prominent ice cream parlours. Served cold with other items -- a fruitcake and some popcorn like stuff were served to the family here on Sunday - it also carried a portion of liquid nitrogen in a container.
On Sunday evening, Avik raised the issue in a social media post.Parents of the other child who had fallen ill - as eyewitnesses said - could not be contacted.
The posts prompted representatives of West Bengal Trinamul Secondary Teachers' Association to visit the mall on Monday and submit a memorandum to the mall management.
"Several children and teenagers visit the mall every day. That is why, we felt it necessary to approach the authorities and ask them to ensure that the item is not sold," said a representative.
He claimed that the mall management have assured that from Monday, they have asked the ice cream parlour not to sell the item. A child specialist, based in the city, said consumption of liquid nitrogen can damage internal organs.
Those who run the parlour claimed that the incident has happened as the child had taken a sip of liquid nitrogen. "It is a very common item in ice cream segment and is popular around the world. There are several such outlets across India. While handing over the item from the counter, we demonstrate before customers as how they should have it," said an associate of the parlour.

The Telegraph
loading...

At least two children fell ill after having a product with liquid nitrogen from an ice cream parlour in a Siliguri mall on Sunday evening.

Read latest post filed under general news, North Bengal

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! What's on your mind?

[blogger][facebook]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.